Dance ’til You Drop

Sevi Callia, '21, Staff Writer

It’s the beginning of 2019, and the Chapelle Hi-Steppers know what that means: it’s time for the American All-Star State Competition! For the past month and a half, these girls vigorously practiced their various dance routines to wow the crowd and win big. While, unfortunately, the team did not get first, they placed second in Division Three. We could not be prouder of our girls and will continue to support and cheer them on no matter what (you all are the best)!

For those who do not know what this competition is about, the Chapelle Hi-Steppers were one of thirty teams from across Louisiana who competed for a state title in their division. Our girls danced against other groups in District Three such as the Mount Carmel Carmelettes, Dominican Debs, and Jesuit Jayettes. Overall, we competed in four categories of dances (jazz, pom, open, and novelty), all of which were spectacular.

When asked whether or not she thought her team’s hard work paid off, sophomore Emily Panzavecchia said, “I think it did because the feeling when we walked off the floor was like no other. Getting to perform those four dances with my teammates was amazing, and I wish that I could do it over and over again because I have no idea what I am going to do without the seniors next year!” In addition to this, Emily confidently looks to the future saying, “The Hi-Steppers are coming back better than ever next year to reclaim their state title! I love this team so much and can’t wait to see what we will accomplish in the years to come!”

While there will be no more competitions this year, the Hi-Steppers will be hosting the annual Spring Fling on March 25 where you can watch them perform all their dances of the year. For more information, go talk to one of your Hi-Stepper classmates. Go support your Dancing Chips!