The Word

• May 14Welcome to The Word, Archbishop Chapelle's Student Newspaper!

What’s the Word?

Advice Column

Back to Article
Back to Article

What’s the Word?

The Word Staff

Hi Word,

For New Year’s, I made a goal to be more organized and to study more effectively in 2019, but I have no idea where to start! Everyone seems to have a different way, and it’s so overwhelming. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Stumped Studier

Hi Stumped Studier!

Getting all of your classwork organized seems very daunting at first. All those study methods and Pinterest-style notes look so complicated, but you don’t need to worry about all that; just taking some small steps to stay organized will make all the difference! For starters, definitely invest in some kind of calendar or planning system. I like to use a physical planner that I carry around, but you could also use a digital calendar. All of our Chromebooks have Google Calendar, so you could start there. Keeping a schedule of all of your classwork, tests, events, etc. makes it easier to stay on top of your work and make sure nothing sneaks up on you. I also recommend picking a note-taking style and sticking to it. It doesn’t matter which one. I use a color coding system, but as long as you understand it, you can really do anything. Finally, if you ever need help in a class, don’t hesitate to go ask your teacher for help. That’s what S period is for! If you’d rather get some help from your peers, Mu Alpha Theta offers math tutoring on Mondays and Wednesdays during S period in Mrs. Bates’ room, and National Honor Society and National Junior Honor Society have tutoring on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the back of the library near counseling.

Good luck and good grades in 2019!

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Advice Columnist

If any of our Word readers would like to ask our resident advice columnist a question, please leave one in the comments. Also, if you have a suggestion for a name for this advice column, feel free to comment that as well.

P.S. Just as an additional tip for studying, make sure you look over the notes several days before the test/quiz. I know we all want to do it, but do not procrastinate and cram the night (or even class) before the test. You are only setting yourself up for loads of unnecessary stress. By studying in advance, you will know the material more and be prepared for not only the test but also the exam. This especially applies to projects, by the way. Staying up until 4 A.M. to finish drawing a poster is not healthy. It’s never too early to start working on those time-management skills.