CHARLOTTE, NC — The family of Iryna Zarutska has filed a civil lawsuit against the City of Charlotte and Professional Security Services, the company that provides security for the Charlotte Area Transit System. The case stems from Zarutska’s fatal stabbing while she was riding a CATS light rail train in 2025.
The complaint says city officials and the security contractor knew violent crime was occurring on and around the light rail system before her death. It also argues that safety protections were not strong enough, including what the family describes as insufficient fare enforcement and staffing.
Court And Criminal Case
DeCarlos Brown is charged with first-degree murder in connection with Zarutska’s death. Court proceedings in that criminal case are currently paused after a judge ruled that Brown is not competent to stand trial.
ABC affiliate WSOC reported that neither the city nor Professional Security Services has publicly responded to the civil allegations. A spokesperson for Charlotte told ABC11 that the city does not comment on active litigation. At this stage, the lawsuit is the main public step taken by Zarutska’s family in the civil case.
What The Suit Alleges
The lawsuit centers on what the family says Charlotte and its transit security provider knew before the killing and what they should have done to reduce risk on the light rail system. It does not spell out a full public timeline in the information released so far, but it places emphasis on prior violence in and around the transit network.
By focusing on staffing and fare enforcement, the complaint suggests the family believes preventable security gaps contributed to the conditions that allowed the attack to happen. Those claims have not been publicly addressed in detail by either defendant.
Next Steps Ahead
Both the City of Charlotte and Professional Security Services are expected to respond to the lawsuit in the coming weeks. Until then, the civil allegations remain untested in court, and no ruling has been reported on the claims in the complaint.
People following the case should watch for filings in the civil lawsuit and any court updates in Brown’s criminal case. For transit or security-related changes, the Charlotte Area Transit System and the City of Charlotte would be the agencies most likely to release official information.
More on the fires, searches and cases people near you are following, on Chapelle News.
MOST COMMENTED
Courts
Ottawa County Jail Death Verdict Delivers $33 Million Penalty After Federal Jury Finds Repeated Medical Neglect and Emotional Abuse in Terral Ellis Case
Courts
Boca Raton Couple Receive Prison Terms in Miami for Running a $50 Million Real Estate Investment Fraud That Used Investor Money for Trading Commissions and Personal Spending
Missing & Alerts
Idaho Amber Alert Issued for Seven Year Old Izabella Bond After She Was Reported Taken Near Railroad Lane in Payette Saturday Evening
Courts
Iryna Zarutska Family Files Lawsuit Against Charlotte and Transit Security Company After Fatal Light Rail Stabbing and Questions Over Safety Measures
Courts
Los Angeles Jury Awards Motorcyclist $28 Million After Firetruck Crash in East Hollywood That Led to Below-The-Knee Amputation
Fires & Rescues
Richmond House Fire Death Toll Rises to Four After Mother Dies From Injuries as Police Arrest Uncle and File Murder and Arson Charges
Courts
Alabama Jury Awards Former University of Alabama Basketball Player Kai Spears $9.25 Million in Defamation Case Against the New York Times Over Erroneous Shooting Report