LEXINGTON, KY — Laken Snelling, a former University of Kentucky student, pleaded guilty Friday in Fayette Circuit Court in the case tied to the death of her newborn son last summer. The plea marked a major turning point in a year-long case that began after Lexington police found an unresponsive infant at her apartment in August 2025.

Police were called to a home in the 400 block of Park Avenue around 10:30 a.m. on Aug. 27 for an unresponsive baby. Officers found the infant at the scene, and he was pronounced dead there. The Kentucky Medical Examiner’s Office later said the baby was born alive and died from asphyxia by undetermined means.

Court Told of Plea

Commonwealth’s Attorney Kimberly Henderson Baird said the defense first approached her office about a possible plea arrangement, and prosecutors agreed to negotiate. Baird said her office also spoke with the family before reaching the deal. She described the outcome as difficult but said prosecutors did what they could in the case.

As part of the agreement, Snelling was required to explain to the court what happened last summer. In court, she said through tears that she concealed the birth and tampered with evidence at the scene. She also told Judge Diane Minnifield, “I ended his life.” Baird said Snelling appeared to show substantial remorse.

Charges And Possible Sentence

Snelling had previously pleaded not guilty in April before later changing course and entering the guilty plea. Under the agreement, the Commonwealth has recommended 10 years for first-degree manslaughter, plus three additional years tied to abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence, and concealing a birth. Those recommendations reflect the charges connected to the case.

Baird said if the judge imposes a sentence above what was agreed to, Snelling would be allowed to withdraw the plea and seek a jury trial. Because of that provision, the sentence is expected to remain within the range outlined in the deal unless the court and defense take a different path.

Sentencing Set For October

Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 16, 2026, in Fayette Circuit Court. That hearing will determine whether the judge accepts the recommendation or sets a different punishment within the limits of the plea agreement. For now, the case is no longer heading toward a trial unless the plea is withdrawn.

Lexington police and Fayette Circuit Court are the key places to check for any new public information before sentencing. The medical examiner’s findings remain the main details released about the infant’s death, and no additional public explanation has been given for how the baby died beyond the undetermined asphyxia determination.

More on the fires, searches and cases people near you are following, on Chapelle News.