AUSTIN, TX — An appeals court in Texas has reduced the $50 million verdict that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was ordered to pay two Sandy Hook parents to $1.5 million. The unanimous ruling came Friday from the state’s Third Court of Appeals and gave Jones his first major legal win in the long-running litigation over his false claims about the 2012 school shooting.
The court said the original award could not stand because the trial judge allowed Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis to amend their petition after the 2022 jury trial so the judgment could move beyond a $750,000 statutory cap per defendant. The panel said that step should not have been allowed after the verdict.
Court Explains Ruling
In the opinion, Chief Justice Darlene Byrne wrote that the trial court abused its discretion by permitting the post-verdict change and then entering a judgment that exceeded the cap on exemplary damages for reasons the jury had not been asked to decide. The court said the cap-busting provision required findings on issues that were never submitted to jurors.
The judges also drew a distinction between liability and damages. Byrne wrote that the default judgment entered against Jones applied to responsibility in the lawsuit, but it did not automatically justify a larger damages award. Bloomberg Law reported that the panel’s decision matched the skepticism the court had already shown during oral arguments in May 2025.
How The Case Grew
The Texas lawsuit was one part of a broader legal fight over Jones and Free Speech Systems LLC, his media company. The parents said Jones and his platform falsely claimed the Sandy Hook massacre never happened, labeled grieving families as liars and helped fuel harassment directed at them.
The Texas award had been overshadowed by an even larger Connecticut judgment of $1.4 billion, which pushed Jones into bankruptcy proceedings. Jones appealed that Connecticut judgment to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the justices declined to disturb it. In May, Jones also said his Infowars broadcast had stopped and that he had closed its Austin headquarters.
What Comes Next
The Texas case is listed as Jones v. Heslin in the Third District Court of Appeals, No. 03-23-00209-CV. The ruling narrows one of the judgments arising from the Sandy Hook litigation, but it does not end the broader dispute surrounding Jones, Free Speech Systems and the related bankruptcy cases.
Friday’s opinion leaves open whether any further review will be sought in Texas. Readers following the case should check the Texas Court of Appeals, the underlying trial court docket and the bankruptcy court proceedings for updates on any remaining appeals, enforcement issues or damage calculations tied to the Sandy Hook lawsuits.
More on the fires, searches and cases people near you are following, on Chapelle News.
MOST COMMENTED
Disasters
National Weather Service Issues Two Tornado Warnings and Expands Tornado Watch Across Most of Delmarva on Thursday Afternoon and Evening
Courts
Los Angeles Woman Known as the Ketamine Queen Gets 15-Year Prison Term in Matthew Perry Overdose Case After Guilty Plea and Emotional Hearing
Missing & Alerts
Berrien County Sheriff Explains Flock Camera Use to Commissioners, Citing Stolen Vehicles, Hit and Runs and a Parental Kidnapping Case in the County
Disasters
Village of Buckeye Lake Orders Mandatory Evacuation as South Fork of the Licking River Swells, Floodwater Closes I-70 and Threatens Homes Near Buckeye Lake
Courts
Texas Appeals Court Cuts Alex Jones Sandy Hook Damages From $50 Million to $1.5 Million After Ruling Trial Judge Exceeded Statutory Cap
Missing & Alerts
South Carolina Natural Resources Divers Recover Body of Missing Aynor Boater in Waccamaw River Crash, With Coroner Saying Foul Play Is Not Suspected
Fires & Rescues
Nebraska’s Largest Wildfire on Record Burns Out of Control Across Three Counties as 600,000 Acres Burn and Officials Warn of Strong Winds