Decades and Donuts

Chapelle Hosts Campus Ministry Night

Carina Swonger, '21, Copy Editor

On Wednesday, October 10, Campus Ministry reminded us that no two things pair as well as prayer and pastries! The Decades and Donuts event was a faith-filled evening of prayer, growth, and fellowship. Students from both Archbishop Chapelle and Archbishop Rummel High Schools prayed a scriptural rosary together, adored the Blessed Sacrament, listened to guest speaker Deacon Andrew Rudmann and dined on dozens of delicious donuts.

Deacon Andrew’s dynamic presentation helped the audience members connect their spiritual journeys to the rosary. “Everywhere we meet the cross; everyone suffers. When we find the Cross, we find our need for Jesus,” he told the crowd. “The Rosary structure is the pattern of Christian life: find the cross, offer up our cross to the Father and invite the Light of Christ to transform our Cross.” Deacon Andrew reminded us that through this life-changing prayer, we are able to experience the “mysteries of Christ through the eyes of Mary.”

Besides the sweet treats at the end of the night, those in attendance felt like they gained from the experience. Sophomore Juliette Martinsen, a member of the Campus Ministry Leadership Team, enjoyed learning more about the power of the rosary. “My favorite part of the night was getting a whole new perspective about the rosary. As Deacon Andrew said, it’s not just a really long prayer, but a prayer where you pour out your sufferings, reflect on the Lord and feel the comfort of Mary, our mother,” she said. Ms. Emily Lannan, the Religion II teacher and a first-year faculty member, felt spiritually inspired after attending. “My biggest takeaway from the night was Deacon Andrew’s emphasis on holding on to the cross on the rosary while we pray the Apostle’s Creed. I want to confidently profess the victory of Christ and our faith even in the midst of the sufferings both personally in my own life and in the classroom!”

If you missed Decades and Donuts, Campus Ministry will be hosting more evenings of Faith and Fellowship soon. Why should I come? you may be asking. Senior Molly Snakenberg, a third-year member of Campus Ministry Leadership Team, wants to encourage those who have never come to a Campus Ministry Night to give it a chance. “Campus Ministry Nights are a great opportunity to take some time for yourself and the Lord while growing alongside your classmates,” she said. “I love being able to hear from different speakers and deepen my understanding of my faith with people who have that same goal.”

Join the Campus Ministry guys and gals for a Campus Ministry Night at Rummel on November 1 from 6:30-8:00 p.m., and don’t forget to pray the Rosary (and eat some donuts) during the month of October!